Employee scheduling software is a highly cost-efficient way to keep track of your employees’ availabilities, shift work, total hours, and your company’s budget, all in one platform. But with so many employee scheduling software platforms to choose from, how can you tell which is best for your company?
Most Important Considerations
These are some of the most important considerations you’ll need to bear in mind when shopping for employee scheduling software:
- Software company history. First, when looking at the company or developers responsible for a given scheduling software product, look at the company’s history. How long have they been in existence? Long-term companies tend to be more stable, and have smoother, more polished products.
- Ratings and reviews. Next, read up on ratings and reviews, preferably on third-party sites. Is this a product that people seem to love, or do people have problems with it? In 2017, the best-rated employee scheduling software was Humanity, but every platform has strengths and weaknesses, so don’t base your decision on any single review or report.
- Current staff. What does your current staff look like? Do you have a handful of people on shift work, or are you employing dozens of people with different roles and responsibilities? The more complex your workforce is, the more sophisticated and functional your scheduling software platform should be.
- Functions and features. Not all platforms offer the same functionality. Most allow you to schedule your employees based on their availabilities, but some will give you advanced insights into your budgeting and long-term planning, great reporting options, and special features like automatically texting your employees when a new schedule is up.
- Integration needs. Don’t forget, your scheduling software isn’t the only app in your suite of employee- and budget-related platforms. Find a scheduling app that can integrate with your other platforms to make things easier on yourself.
- Most scheduling platforms are available for a monthly rate, but that rate is highly variable. Consider how much money you’ll save by switching to a modern scheduling platform, and base your budget on those savings, balancing your expenditure with your needs.
- Update history. How often has this app been updated in the past? Ideally, you’ll find a platform with a long history of consistent updates. It shows the developers stand by their product, and want to keep it as up-to-date and secure as possible.
- App UI. How easy is it to learn and use the platform? This is important for several reasons, including easing the burden it puts on your staff and minimizing the amount of time you’ll need to spend training people on the platform.
- Future plans. Finally, look at the future plans of the developers responsible for the platform. Are they going to invest in developing this product further in the future, or do they see it as a project that’s already complete?
Where to Start
Seeing all these considerations may make the decision making process a bit overwhelming, but the best way to start is to dive in; start looking up various employee scheduling software companies and give each platform a trial run to see if it gives your business what it needs. The more time you spend playing around with these platforms and investigating their key features, the better understanding you’ll have of scheduling software overall, and the easier the decision will be.
You’ll also need to consider other types of software to help you make the most of your employee budgets, including labor, time, and attendance management software. Take a look at what SAP has to offer in these areas.